93. Can I fix my problems without going to a hearing?

You can always try to fix problems by talking with your worker, your worker's supervisor, the Assistant Director or the Director.

You can also ask the DTA Ombuds Office, 617-348-5354. When the issue is missing verification and the verification has been provided, DTA is required to take action to adjust your benefits. 106 C.M.R. §§ 702.240, 343.350(B).

Even if you are trying to fix the problem, you should be sure to ask for a hearing right away. You can always cancel the hearing if you settle your case or decide not to pursue the appeal. 106 C.M.R. § 343.350.

For legal help, call the nearest Legal Services office. See Appendix I.

Advocacy Reminders:

  • Advocates may need a signed release from the client to discuss a client’s case with a DTA worker, supervisor, assistant director, director or the Ombuds Office. You can fax the release to the Electronic Document Management (EDM) Center, fax 617-887-8765.
  • If you cannot send a release, you may be able to do a three-way call with the client, DTA and the advocate.