The Online Resource for Massachusetts Poverty Law Advocates

26. Can I qualify for EAEDC if I am 65 years of age or older?

If you are age 65 or older, you can get EAEDC simply on the basis of your age. 106 C.M.R. § 703.600. You will also need to apply for SSI benefits.

Most elders are automatically eligible for SSI benefits once they turn 65. Because the Social Security Administration (SSA) can take many months to process SSI, EAEDC is often provided as a short-term benefit while the SSA acts on the SSI application.

However, there are a few circumstances where elders might not get SSI, including where they do not meet the SSI noncitizen eligibility rules (such as elders who are legally present but are not specifically "qualified" noncitizens). See Question 38.

In addition, elders and persons with disabilities living in rest homes (which are not covered under MassHealth as long-term care facilities) may need EAEDC to cover the costs of the rest home above their income, as well as a personal needs allowance. See Question 63.

When you apply for EAEDC on the basis of age you will be asked for proof of your age. If you don't have a birth certificate, school record or other official proof of age, or a statement from someone who knows you (a "third party") can be used. 106 C.M.R. § 703.800. A third party statement is a statement from a relative, friend or other person who, in this situation, can provide information about your age.

Advocacy Reminder:

ü  If you are unable to get the documentation, ask your DTA worker for help.

DTA Policy Guidance:

DTA Online Guide: EAEDC > Categorical Requirements > Elderly > Elderly

Limit Offer