The Online Resource for Massachusetts Poverty Law Advocates

62. What will my grant be if I live with my spouse?

If you live with your spouse and do not have minor children living with you, your grant group depends on your spouse's income type.

  • If your spouse receives EAEDC also, both of you will be budgeted in Group H and each of you will receive $202.50/month in benefits less any countable income.

  • If your spouse has SSI, you will get a full Group A grant of $303.70 minus any countable income you have. None of your spouse's SSI or other income will count and you are considered to be "living alone" for EAEDC purposes as long as you are responsible for some of the shelter costs.

  • If your spouse has income other than EAEDC or TAFDC benefits,

    • subtract a Group H maximum grant of $202.50 from your spouse's countable income; and

    • subtract the amount of your spouse's countable income above $202.50 from a one-person Group A maximum grant of $303.70.

The remainder, less any other countable income you have, is the amount of your EAEDC grant.

Example: Sally Farmer receives $400/month in Unemployment Compensation. Frank, Sally's husband, has applied for EAEDC as a disabled person. Under the income-counting rules for spouses, Sally's income will be measured against a Group H level of $202.50. This leaves $197.50 of the $400 in countable income toward Frank. Under the EAEDC living arrangement rules, Frank is budgeted in a Group A level at $303.70/month. Counting Sally's income, Frank will receive $106/month in EAEDC ($303.70 - 197.50 = $106).

If there are children in your home, the rules get more complicated and depend on who in your family is receiving EAEDC or TAFDC. Consult 106 C.M.R. §§ 704.410(A)(2) and (3).

Limit Offer