The Online Resource for Massachusetts Poverty Law Advocates

33. What if I have an outstanding default or arrest warrant?

You are not eligible for EAEDC if you have an outstanding default or arrest warrant issued by a court in Massachusetts. 106 C.M.R. § 701.110(C). A warrant may be issued when you miss a court date or when you fail to pay a fine, court costs, restitution, or other monies ordered by the court or by state law. For example, a warrant may be issued when someone fails to pay child support or speeding tickets.

DTA will give you 30 days to show that you have resolved the default or arrest warrant or show that the court made a mistake in issuing it. If you do not give proofs to DTA within 30 days, you will get a notice reducing your EAEDC by the amount for one person. The rest of your family should remain eligible if others are receiving EAEDC with you. You have a right to appeal this reduction.

If you get a notice from DTA or the Bureau of Special Investigations that you have an outstanding default or arrest warrant, or you already know that you have

one, you should contact an advocate immediately for advice and possible referral to a lawyer for help.

Advocacy Reminders:

  • Because different courts have different ways of handling warrants, it is a good idea to try to obtain a court-appointed lawyer or a private attorney to help you resolve a warrant.
  • There is no disqualification from EAEDC for out-of-state warrants.

Limit Offer