38. Are there special rules for seniors and persons with disabilities?
If you are an older adult 60 or older or meet the disability rules for SNAP (see Question 39) you may benefit from special rules including:
- More of your shelter costs can be deducted in the SNAP math. See Question 81.
- You can claim out-of-pocket medical expenses to boost your SNAP benefits. See Question 76.
- You may qualify for some SNAP benefits even if your gross income exceeds the 200% gross income test, (but you must also meet the SNAP asset test). See Question 63.
- If you are a legal immigrant adult, you may be exempt from the 5-year waiting period. See Question 50.
- You may be eligible to apply as a separate SNAP household even if you live with others who buy and prepare food for you. See Question 37.
- If you are 60 or older, you can also use the DTA Senior Assistance Office for help. See Question 25.