You are here

19. If I move, how do I report my new address?

ALERT:  Many of the rules in the SNAPAdvocacy Guide do NOT apply during the pandemic. Please go to the following COVID-19 & DTA benefits page: until further notice for more information about changes.

It’s important to tell DTA if your address changes so you don’t miss important notices. Also, if you move and your shelter costs go up you may be eligible for more SNAP. 
To report a change:

  • Call the DTA Assistance Line at 877-382-2363 and follow the prompts to do an address change (no need to talk to a DTA worker),
  • Change your address through DTA Connect (See Question 23),
  • Verbally report the change to a DTA worker on the Assistance Line or at a local DTA office, or
  • Send DTA a letter about your new address by fax or mail.  

When you report a change of address, DTA should update your address in your case record. DTA may also send you a letter asking you for proof of your new address and asking you to fill out a form about other changes in your household. Under the Simplified Reporting rules, you are not required to send DTA proof of changes when you tell them your address has changed. 

DTA’s policy to mail this letter when households report address changes is incorrect. You will not be penalized for not responding to this letter. Unless you are required to report a change (or you are doing an Interim Report or Recertification), it may be better for your household to not send in proofs. See Question 98.

DTA does not have the authority to reduce your benefits if you happy to verify something you are not required to verify. If DTA reduces your SNAP when you move, contact an advocate.

If your rent goes up: 
If your rent has increased, or you are now paying heating or cooling costs, it may boost your SNAP may increase if you report the change. You are not required to report a change in your shelter costs until your next Interim Report or Recertification. This is especially important to know if your shelter costs go down.

For example: Dylan is 70 years old and recently moved into subsidized housing, and his monthy rent decreased. He reported his new address through DTA Connect to be sure he gets DTA mail but not his rent change. In response to the new address report, DTA sends Dylan a letter asking for proof of his new address and changes in his housing costs. This DTA letter is incorrect. Dylan is on Simplified Reporting and is not required to report or verify that his rent is lower until his next Interim Report or Recertification. 

Note: Different rules apply if you get both SNAP and cash assistance (EAEDC or TAFDC benefits). DTA requires you to report within 10 days any changes in your address and if the move causes changes to your rent. See Question 102
If DTA gets returned mail:  
DTA mail is not forwarded by the U.S. Post Office.  If you move and DTA does not have your new address, DTA letters will likely get returned to DTA. However, if you left a forwarding address with the U.S. Post office, DTA should use that information to update your address in your case and send a check-in notice to your new address.  
Cash Assistance cases:

If you get DTA cash benefits (TAFDC or EAEDC) in addition to SNAP, DTA may close your cash case if you move but do not respond to DTA letters asking you to verify your new address. DTA’s policies for handing returned mail in cash assistance cases may not follow the law. Contact an advocate.

DTA Online Guide: Cross Programs > Request for Assistance (RFA) > Address (RFA)
Business Process (BP) > BP - Overview > Returned Mail
Business Process (BP) > Procedures > Processing Procedures > Completing Unvalidated Address Change Requests (SNAP)