99. What is Change Reporting for cash assistance households?

\Reporting requirements are different for households where all household members also get cash assistance from DTA. 106 C.M.R. § 366.110(A). If everyone in your household receives TAFDC or EAEDC (or SSI and TAFDC), you are on “Change Reporting” and have to report more changes than households who are on Simplified Reporting or EDSAP.

If just some of the people in your SNAP household receive cash assistance (TAFDC, EAEDC, or SSI), you need to follow the Simplified Reporting rules. See Question 96. For example: If you are a grandparent living with your teenage child and grandchild, and your child and grandchild get TAFDC together, your SNAP household is on Simplified Reporting.   

If you are on Change Reporting, you must report the following within 10 days of the change:

  • Your income (earned or unearned) goes up or down by more than $125 per month. This is the rule for SNAP regardless of how your income is treated for TAFDC (even if DTA is disregarding 100% of your income for TAFDC).
  • You start or stop a job.  
  • You move and what your new rent, mortgage or utilities are.  
  • Who lives with you changed (for example, someone moved in or out, or a baby was born).
  • You are legally obligated to pay child support and your obligation changed. See Question 78.

If your SNAP benefits will go down or end because of a change, DTA must send you a notice at least 10 days in advance of the date your SNAP will change. Your benefits will not be decreased or stopped until after this ten day period. 106 C.M.R. § 366.200.

Example: Mary usually receives her SNAP benefit on the 2nd of the month. On 11/15, she reports an increase in income. By November 25, DTA must send her a written notice that her SNAP benefits will go down. DTA cannot reduce her benefits until 12/5, ten days after that notice. Since Mary will already have received her next SNAP on 12/2, her benefits will not be decreased until January.

DTA does not have to give you a 10 day notice of a change when DTA has confirmed information that a household member has died, or when there is a mass change (such as a Social Security cost of living adjustment) or in certain other situations. See 106 C.M.R. §§ 366.210, 106 C.M.R. § 366.215. In some situations, your benefits can be reduced or ended right away. 106 C.M.R. § 366.120(C). You still have the right to appeal. See Part 6.

DTA Online Guide

See Appendix G for links to the DTA’s BEACON Online Guide for this section.