You are here

08. Can I give someone permission to talk with DTA about my SNAP case?

ALERT:  Many of the rules in the SNAPAdvocacy Guide do NOT apply during the pandemic. Please go to the following COVID-19 & DTA benefits page: until further notice for more information about changes.

You have the right to give permission to anyone you trust to help you find out what’s going on with your SNAP case. This can be a social service agency, food pantry, legal services, a trusted family member or friend. This is different from appointing an authorized representative. See Question 7.

You can also call the DTA Assistance Line with an agency or friend on the line to help you. For example, you can do a "3-way" call.

Before anyone can talk with DTA about your case (if you are not with them by phone or in person) you need to send DTA a written and signed statement that allows DTA to share information with the person or organization helping you. 106 C.M.R. §360.400.   

Appendix C has a sample Client Consent Allowing DTA to Release Information to a Helping Agency. You can also send DTA a handwritten or typed note (signed and dated) with the same information. There is no specific DTA form must be used.

DTA Online Guide: Cross Programs > Assisting Person > Assisting Person Overview