The Online Resource for Massachusetts Poverty Law Advocates

85. What proofs do I need to claim deductions?

You cannot be denied SNAP benefits for lack of proof of deductions, but your benefits may be higher if you provide proofs. 106 C.M.R. §§ 364.450(B). Question 12, 13 and 14 have detailed information on verifications, self-declarations, worker assistance and more for each deduction. You can also claim deductions any time you incur these expenses. 

You can:

  • Self-declare the cost of child care or adult dependent care, including transportation, and shelter/utility costs unless questionable.
  • Claim and verify child support paid with any legal document that describes your obligation and the amount you pay (See Question 80); Claim and verify un-reimbursed medical expenses to claim the standard $155 deduction or actual expenses if higher. See Question 79.

If your DTA worker failed to give you a notice or checklist telling you what verifications you needed and the date by which to provide them, or failed to help you get the verifications, you may be able to recover the lost benefits. 106 C.M.R. § 364.450(B). See also Question 96 and 107  

Limit Offer