You are here

65. Can I enroll in an education or training through DTA's "SNAP Path to Work" program?

ALERT:  Many of the rules in the SNAPAdvocacy Guide do NOT apply during the pandemic. Please go to the following COVID-19 & DTA benefits page: until further notice for more information about changes.

YES. DTA is working with many employment and training providers to offer job search, on-the-job training and training programs for SNAP recipients who want to participate in a program and continue their SNAP benefits. These services are offered through DTA's “SNAP Path to Work” programsunder the SNAP Employment and Training rules, or SNAP ET.

Any SNAP recipient age 16 or older can volunteer for a SNAP ET program. 106 CMR §362.310(B). If you are approved, you do not need to pay for the training program. You can enroll and participate for free.

The SNAP Path to Work providers should be able to:

  • Help you update your resume
  • Help you develop interview skills or look for work.
  • Enroll you in education programs that include English as a second language, Adult Basic Education or GED.
  • Enroll you in a community college or other certificate program to help you get a specific skill.
  • Help you build other job skills.

DTA keeps a running list of providers who offer employment and training services on their SNAP Path to Work webpage, here:

You can search for available providers by city and town. A number of community colleges (as of January 2020) are also offering SNAP ET certification programs including Bunker Hill, Middlesex, Holyoke, Springfield Tech, Quinsigamond Community colleges, as well as Quincy College. And many other organizations are offering training programs, all paid for through DTA’s SNAP Path to Work program,

It is possible that the SNAP ET program can offer transportation reimbursement for your education or training activity. Contact DTA through the SNAP Path to Work website to find out.

DTA Online Guide: Home > SNAP > SNAP Path to Work Program > SNAP Path to Work Program