The Online Resource for Massachusetts Poverty Law Advocates

101. What is the Elder/Disabled Simplified Application Project (EDSAP) and how will it affect me?

ALERT:  Many of the rules in the SNAPAdvocacy Guide do NOT apply during the pandemic. Please go to the following COVID-19 & DTA benefits page: until further notice for more information about changes.

EDSAP is a special DTA project to help older adults and persons with disabilities stay on SNAP. EDSAP means less paperwork for you to fill out and less work for DTA to process.  Your SNAP case can be on EDSAP even if you have children in the household under age 18.

Your SNAP case is part of EDSAP if every adult in your household is:

  • Age 60 or older, or
  • Receives a disability-based benefit, such as SSI, Social Security Disability, or MassHealth as disabled, and
  • Does not have earned income.

Your SNAP benefits are approved for 3 years (36 months). At the end of 3 years, DTA will contact you to recertify your SNAP.  In the meantime:

  • You do not need to fill out any Interim Report forms  
  • You do not need a DTA interview at your Recertification - unless you want one, or unless DTA finds information you provide “questionable.” See Question 17.    
  • You only have to tell DTA about the two changes by the 10th day of the month following the month of the change:
    • When someone joins or leaves your household
    • If you or anyone in the household starts working

If someone leaves or joins your household or you or another household member start working, you need to tell DTA. DTA will move your case from EDSAP to Simplified Reporting. You will then need to report changes every 6 months. See Question 99.

Example: Edward, age 65, starts a new job in November and receives his first pay check on November 28. He needs to report the earnings to DTA by December 10th. Edward's SNAP case will be moved out of EDSAP and he will be required to complete an Interim Report every 6 months. He is still certified for SNAP for the remainder of his 3 year certification period.

If you are on EDSAP, you are NOT required to tell DTA about any other changes. However, it is best to report increases in expenses if you are not getting the maximum SNAP benefit, such as an increase in rent or medical costs.

DTA will send you a notice explaining EDSAP, when your 3 year certification period ends, and your reporting requirements. Some DTA notices can be viewed through DTA Connect. See Question 23. You can also call DTA (including the Senior Assistance Office) to ask if your SNAP is an EDSAP case.

DTA Online Guide Sections:  SNAP > Certification Types > Simplified Reporting > Simplified Reporting Overview

Limit Offer