104. How can you find out what is happening with your case?

Talk to your worker, a supervisor, an Assistant Director or even a Director.

  • You can call your DTA worker to ask about your case. Your worker’s name and phone number should be on any notices you get from DTA. You can get the worker’s name and get connected to the worker by calling the DTA Assistance Line at (877) 382-2363.
  • If you cannot reach your worker you can call your worker’s supervisor, an Assistant Director, or even the Director (see Appendix B to get names and telephone numbers).
  • You have a right to a copy of anything that is in your file. 106 C.M.R. § 701.330; DTA Transitions, Nov. 2012, p. 4.

Use your smartphone or tablet -- DTA Connect app.

  • DTA Connect is a free mobile app. Download DTA Connect for iPhones and iPads at the App store; download DTA Connect for Androids at Google Play.
  • You need to make an account to log-in to the DTA Connect app. You will need to enter an email address and make a password.
  • You can see your case information on the DTA Connect app if your case is active (open), pending, or is closed but was open in the past 12 months. Domestic violence survivors with Heightened Level of Security or who have a block on their DTA online or telephone services, see Question 106, cannot see case information on DTA Connect.
  • Information you can get using the DTA Connect app includes
    • case status, monthly benefit amount, next benefit issue date, and EBT card balance,
    • alerts about appointments or deadlines,
    • copies of notices sent in the past 12 months,
    • whether documents you sent in the past 12 months have been processed.
  • You can also use the DTA Connect app to send information to DTA or request an EBT card. See Questions 82 and 100. 

Create a DTA Connect account online. Go to DTAConnect.com on a computer, smartphone, or tablet. Create a log in ID. You will need an email address. 

  • In addition to the information you can get through the DTA Connect app, with a DTA Connect online account, you can get your deposit history. You can also complete a SNAP Interim Report or Recertification.

Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System. You can get some information about your case by calling the IVR. This is an automated system, not a live person. It is available round the clock, every day of the week. To reach the IVR, call the DTA Assistance Line at 1-877-382-2363. You will need to enter your social security number, DTA Agency ID or EBT card number, and your year of birth to get information about your case.

The IVR can tell you

  • if your case is open, closed, or denied
  • the amount of benefits you will receive and your next payment date, and
  • your EBT card balance.

DTA Ombuds Office. If you need more information or you are not satisfied with the information you get, call the DTA Ombuds Office, (617) 348-5354. The Ombuds Office was created to help applicants and recipients fix problems they may have with their DTA case. You can also file a complaint with the Ombuds Office.

Advocacy Reminders

  • Wait timeson DTA’s Assistance Line can be a problem, especially for people with limited cell phone minutes. Social service agencies can help by offering use of their phones. If you prefer, you can go to the DTA office.