85. What other benefits do TAFDC recipients get?

DTA will pay

  • up to $300 for an infant who is less than six months old. DTA sometimes pays this benefit without your asking for it, but it is a good idea to ask for it. DTA calls this a “crib and layette” payment. You can use it for anything you need for the baby. 106 C.M.R. § 705.600; DTA Transitions, Aug. 2007, p. 5.
    •  DTA is supposed to tell you about benefits you may be eligible for. If DTA knew you had a baby less than 6 months old and didn’t suggest you apply for the infant benefit payment, you can ask for the benefit after the baby is 6 months old.
  • a “relocation” benefit up to $1,000 for expenses related to moving to permanent housing, such as advance rent, security deposit, rent or utility arrears, storage, moving costs, or critical household furniture or equipment for recipients who have been in an emergency shelter, a domestic violence shelter or a temporary housing arrangement provided through the Department of Housing and Community Development for 60 days or more and for some older teens who have been in a teen living program for 60 days or more. 106 C.M.R. § 705.350; DTA Operations Memos 2012-19 (Apr. 25, 2012) and 2011-48 (Nov. 3, 2011); Appendix E (DTA Online Guide); DTA Transitions, May 2008, p. 8, Feb. 2007, p. 4.
  • up to $1,100 for funeral and burial expenses for a TAFDC applicant or recipient, and other people who do not have resources to pay for funeral and burial. Total expenses cannot exceed $3,500. 106 C.M.R. §§ 705.700-705.710; DTA Operations Memo 2012-35 (July23, 2012); DTA Transitions, Sept. 2012, pp. 5-6.

You are also eligible for education and training services under the Pathways to Work Program and for child care if you are working or in an approved education, training or job search program. You may be eligible for transportation assistance. The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education will pay for HiSET (high school equivalency) tests. See Questions 89, 90, and 97.

After your TAFDC case closes you may be eligible for subsidized childcare, see Question 93, and for a temporary cash stipend, see Question 86.

Homeless families and pregnant individuals may also be eligible for emergency shelter through the Department of Housing and Community Development. Apply by calling (866) 584-0653 or at your local DTA office if it is open. See https://www.mass.gov/how-to/find-emergency-family-shelter.