28. What if you are a domestic violence survivor?

A number of special rules and procedures apply to survivors of domestic violence. See Appendix E (DTA Online Guide) DTA Field Operations Memo 2010-35 (Sept. 20, 2010).
Each DTA office has a Domestic Violence Specialist assigned to it. You can ask to see the Domestic Violence Specialist to help you develop a safety plan, help you get documents like birth certificates or court records, or locate services for your family.
The Domestic Violence Specialist will also help you fill out forms to request a waiver of TAFDC rules because of domestic violence, see Question 43.
The Domestic Violence Specialist can also help you verify good cause for not cooperating with child support enforcement or can help you seek child support safely. See Question 11.
For more information and phone numbers for Domestic Violence Specialists, ask DTA for DTA’s domestic violence brochure, or go to https://www.mass.gov/service-details/domestic-violence-services. The brochure is available in seven languages.
You can ask DTA for special confidentiality protections and block access to DTA Connect. See Question 106. You can ask to use an alternate social security number (SSN). See Question 10.
You can ask DTA to grant you “good cause” for not meeting a DTA rule, including the time limit, Question 34, the Work Program, Question 35, and teen parent school attendance requirements. Question 13. Appendix E (DTA Online Guide); DTA Online Guide (Good Cause Criteria- TAFDC).
There are special eligibility rules for certain battered noncitizens and their families who do not qualify under other noncitizen rules. See Question 9.

Advocacy Reminder

  • If a DTA staff person thinks that your child has been abused or neglected, DTA may file a report with the Department of Children and Families. Contact your local legal services program, Appendix D, if you are worried DTA will file an abuse or neglect report.