4. What is the EA income limit?

For applicants

To be eligible for Emergency Assistance as an applicant, your family’s gross monthly income must be below 115% of the federal poverty limit for your family size. The federal government usually increases the amount slightly in January or February of each year. 

For participants 

Starting in FY20, the Legislature raised the maximum income level for families already in EA shelter to 200% of the poverty level. Participant families are not considered over income until they have exceeded 200% of the poverty level for 90 consecutive days.

As of January 2023, the EA income eligibility standards are:

Household size EA Eligibility Applicants: 115% of Federal Poverty Level (monthly) EA Eligibility-Participants: 200% of Federal Poverty Level (monthly)
1 $1,397 $2,430
2 $1,890 $3,287
3 $2,382 $4,143
4 $2,875 $5,000
5 $3,368 $5,857
6 $3,860 $6,713
7 $4,353 $7,570
8 $4,845 $8,427
Add'l $493 add'l household member $857 add'l household member


Remember: These limits usually change each January or February so make sure you are using the most recent numbers. You can check for updates at https://www.mass.gov/info-details/housing-stabilization-notices

EA considers your gross income, which is your total income before any tax withholdings or other deductions. See 760 CMR 67.02(5). If you are working, EOHLC usually asks for your last 4 pay stubs if you are paid weekly, or last 2 pay stubs if you are paid every other week. Since most months are not exactly 4 weeks long, to calculate your income EOHLC takes your last 4 weekly pay stubs, adds them together, divides by 4, then multiplies that amount by 4.333; or, it takes your last 2 biweekly pay stubs, adds them together, divides by 2, and then multiplies that amount by 2.167. This is the number they generally will use for your monthly gross income.

Weekly pay:                                           Biweekly pay:

  1. Add together last 4 paystubs          1.   Add together last 2 paystubs
  2. Divide total by 4                         2.   Divide total by 2
  3. Multiply by 4.333                       3.   Multiply by 2.167

Note: If you are applying for EA and you expect your income to go down soon, EOHLC should use the best estimate of income for the next month.  For example, if you expect your hours or pay to be reduced, tell EOHLC and get a letter from your employer that says what your future pay will be. 

See 106 CMR 702.920, DTA regulations incorporated into the EA regulations through 760 CMR 67.02(5)(b) and 106 CMR 204.290.  Note that the DTA regulation numbers changed in 2018 and EOHLC recently updated their regulations to reflect these changes.  The referenced regulations can now be found at 106 CMR 704.210 through 704.230; 106 CMR 704.240(A) and (B); 106 CMR 704.250(A)(2) through 704.250(QQ); and 106 CMR 704.290. While 106 CMR 702.290 no longer exists in the DTA transitional cash assistance program regulations, 106 CMR 704.290(A) now incorporates that income is to be counted prospectively: “Eligibility and grant amount are based on the filing unit's projected income at the time of application or when a change is reported. Projected income must be based on the best estimate of income that actually will be received in the cyclical month in which action will be taken on the application or the change.”

Families should not give up earned income for the purpose of qualifying for shelter. Reducing earned income without good cause within 90 days of a shelter application can result in a denial of shelter. 760 CMR 67.02(3) and Question 10. If families lose income due to homelessness, such as loss of childcare or employment, EOHLC should consider that reduction in income to be "good cause" for losing earned income.  Note that families can give up unearned income for the purpose of qualifying for shelter. See Question 5 for a list of what income does and does not count for EA.

Families receiving EA who go over income

If you are receiving EA shelter benefits and your gross income goes over the EA eligibility standard for 90 consecutive days or more, you can continue to receive benefits for six more months from the day you went over income before being terminated from the program (unless you become ineligible for another reason). Beginning with the FY20 budget, the Legislature changed the income limit for families who are already receiving EA shelter to 200% of the federal poverty level. You will not be subject to the over-income termination if your income goes back under 200% of the poverty level within 90 days. See HSN 2019-2 at https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2019/09/06/200%25%20of%20FP G%202019.pdf  and HSN 2023-1 at https://www.mass.gov/doc/housing-stabilization- notice-2023-1-revised-federal-poverty-guidelines/download

If you are over income for 90 consecutive days or more, in order to receive shelter for the next six months, you:

  • Must save the amount of income that is over the income limit (this is in addition to what you must save under your EA Rehousing Plan, see Question 16),
  • May not withdraw the saved money until you leave shelter (except to pay costs directly related to getting permanent housing or for other purposes approved by your EOHLC worker), and
  • Must follow all other EA rules. See 760 CMR 67.02(5)(d)-(f)

In special situations, EOHLC may extend your EA benefits beyond the six months, even if your income if over the limit for more than 90 days. See 760 CMR 67.02(5)(g).  Ask your EOHLCworker if you need more time to find housing.

For families receiving HomeBASE

 If you are receiving HomeBASE benefits and your gross income goes over the EA eligibility limit, you can continue to receive HomeBASE for 12 months after your income exceeds the EA limit as long as you are complying with your stabilization plan (see Question 16). The Legislature changed the HomeBASE over-income rules in the FY23 state budget. As of October 2023, EOHLC has not issued updated regulations.

Advocacy Tips

  • Before you use any of the money you are required to save while in shelter, ask your EOHLC worker or your shelter provider if the spending is allowed and try to get approval in writing. 
  • One-time “lump sum” income, such as a personal injury settlement, does not cause a period of ineligibility for EA as it does for Transitional Aid to Families with Dependent Children (TAFDC). See 760 CMR 67.02(5)(b)