Finding a FPP Advocate

Enter the word(s) you are searching for; use quotes for exact phrase

Family Preservation Project (FPP) advocates and FPP teams can help families with DCF involvement and other legal issues related to DCF involvement if the families:

  • are currently being investigated by DCF or
  • have an open DCF case or
  • in some cases, are at immediate risk of being involved with DCF


  • do not have a current DCF court case

FPP advocates are not currently available in every part of Massachusetts.

Information about particular eligibility requirements and the intake process at each FPP site are listed below. 


Community Legal Aid (CLA)

Individual seeking help must:

  1. Live in Hampden County or Worcester County
  2. Be a US citizen or LPR status
  3. Generally, have income below 125% of federal poverty level, but some factors (e.g., DV) may allow exceptions. (Individuals on SSI, MassHealth or SNAP benefits likely qualify.)

How to contact: Potential clients should call the CLA intake line at 855-252-5342 or submit an online application and state that they are looking for assistance with their DCF case. If there is an alleged perpetrator of domestic violence against the client, please have available that person’s name and age (or date of birth if possible) for conflict checking.


Greater Boston Legal Services (GBLS)

Individual seeking help must:

  1. Live in Arlington, Belmont, Boston, Braintree, Brookline, Cambridge, Canton, Chelsea, Cohasset, Everett, Hingham, Holbrook, Hull, Malden, Medford, Melrose, Milton, Newton, Norwell, Quincy, Randolph, Revere, Scituate, Somerville, Stoneham, Wakefield, Waltham, Watertown, Weymouth, Winchester, Winthrop, or Woburn
  2. Generally, have income below 125% of federal poverty line, but some factors may allow exceptions.

Priorities: Pending probate and family court/district court litigation; DCF cases requiring a grievance or fair hearing; survivors of domestic violence.

How to contact: Complete intake form and email to Paris McWilliam at for screening. Potential clients may also call the GBLS Central Intake Unit 617-371-1234 between 9:30 AM and 12:30 PM Monday through Friday to do an intake. Completing the intake form will likely result in a quicker response.


Northeast Legal Aid (NLA)

Individual seeking help must:

  1. Live in Essex County, or in the towns Ashby, Billerica, Boxborough, Burlington, Chelmsford, Devens, Dracut, Dunstable, Groton, Littleton, Lowell, North Reading, Pepperell, Reading, Shirley, Tewksbury, Townsend, Tyngsborough, Westford or Wilmington of Middlesex County.
  2. Have income below 200% of federal poverty level.
  3. Be U.S. Citizen, LPR status, or be a domestic violence survivor eligible under the Kennedy Amendments.

How to contact: Call NLA general intake line at 978-458-1465 and indicate that you are seeking assistance regarding DCF involvement, or submit NLA on-line intake form in English or Spanish.  It is helpful if you can provide information about the status of the DCF involvement and any related legal issues.

Questions?  Call 978-458-1465 and ask to speak to the Family Preservation Project Attorney


South Coastal Counties Legal Services (SCCLS)

Individual seeking help must:

  1. Live in Abington, Acushnet, Aquinnah, Attleboro, Avon, Berkley, Barnstable, Brewster, Bridgewater, Brockton, Bourne, Carver, Chatham, Chilmark, Dartmouth, Dennis, Dighton, Duxbury, East Bridgewater, Eastham, Easton, Edgartown, Fairhaven, Fall River, Falmouth, Freetown, Gay Head, Gosnold, Halifax, Hanover, Hanson, Harwich, Kingston, Lakeville, Mansfield, Marion, Marshfield, Mashpee, Mattapoisett, Middleborough, Nantucket, New Bedford, North Attleboro, Norton, Oak Bluffs, Orleans, Pembroke, Plymouth, Plympton, Provincetown, Raynham, Rehoboth, Rochester, Rockland, Sandwich, Seekonk, Somerset, Stoughton, Swansea, Taunton, Tisbury, Truro, Wareham, Wellfleet, West Bridgewater, Westport, West Tisbury, Whitman, or Yarmouth.
  2. Have income below 200% of federal poverty level.
  3. Have a civil legal issue related to DCF involvement.

How to contact: Call the SCCLS hotline at 1-800-244-9023

Displaying 1 - 3 of 3
View by Library Type
Sort by