option to apply for DTA benefits by phone, imp. P-EBT & schools info
DTA now has an option to apply by phone (as of mid June). This is a very positive and important change and a very important access point for households, especially for those who do not have access to the internet or who are not comfortable doing an online application.
For SNAP: Households can call the DTA Assistance Line at 877 382 2363 to apply by phone.
For TAFDC/EAEDC: Call any local DTA office (click here for contact info) directly to apply by phone - if needed, leave a message and a case manager will call the applicant back.
- The case manager will make a note in the case record that the application was signed by phone and that the Rights and Responsibilities were reviewed, understood and agreed to. The applicant does not need to do an online application or a paper application. The verbal confirmation serves as the signature.
- The case manager must do the application interview at the same time as accepting the application by phone - when applying by phone the application and the interview happen at the same time.
- After applying by phone, DTA will mail the client a summary document with the application language. The application does not need to return this document, it is for their records.
- Currently, DTA only accepts a signature by phone for applications.
We are concerned about this short deadline for school districts, especially as some districts are still accepting National School Lunch Program (NSLP) applications through June. Note, USDA has decided that the amount of the P-EBT benefits will be pro-rated for children who applied for free or reduced-price meals after May 1st:
- Children whose families applied for NSLP in March or April already received or will receive the full P-EBT benefit ($399 total, 2 payments of $199.50 each).
- Children whose families applied for NSLP in May will get P-EBT from May 1st through June 19th at $5.75/day (approximately $200- this is an estimate!)
- Children whose families applied for NSLP any time in June will get P-EBT only for June 1st through 19th at $5.75/day (approximately $80- this is an estimate!)