SNAP Eligibility Rules/Rights for College Students
College students struggling with tuition costs and shrinking financial aid may be eligible for SNAP benefits. A recent report by the Wisconsin Hope Lab underscores the growing food insecurity among 2 and 4 year public college students, as reported in the Boston Globe on May 11, 2018.
MLRI's SNAP student FAQs and Fliers:
- Flier: SNAP & community college students
- Flier: SNAP & 4 year college students
- Know Your Rights FAQ re special SNAP rules for community college students.
- Know Your Rights FAQ re SNAP rules for 4-year students who receive MASSGrant, Work Study, work part-time, have children or meet other SNAP rules.
- SNAP Application Interview- What college students need to know (FAQ below)
DTA Forms to verify student status and financial aid:
- DTA's Community College Enrollment Verification Form
- DTA's Educational Income and Expense Form (EDUC-1) - but note self-dec if financial aid office declines to fill this out.
- Students can also submit a Self-declaration - see sample form by clicking here (or PDF below). Use this if college financial aid office is unwilling to fill out DTA's EDUC-1form.
- Bunker Hill Community College statement to students about SNAP and self-declaring their financial aid information (PDF below).
Current DTA policy guidance re college students:
- DTA's Online Guide page on student eligibility (this is the policy DTA SNAP workers often refer to)
- DTA's August 2017 Online Guide Transmittal expanding SNAP college student eligibility to recipients of MASS Grant financial aid, and that Quincy College students can qualify in the same way as 2 -year community college student.
- DTA's Operations Bulletin 2018-2 (3/27/18) which allows students to self-declare how much financial aid is available for basic living expenses if the student runs into problems gettingi the financial aid office to fill out DTA's EDUC-1 form. The self-dec should be submitted with the student's financial aid award letter (which most students can download). See NASFAA 9/13/17 guidance relaying this US DOE restriction on sharing student financial aid information.
Archived DTA guidance regarding college students:
|BHCC statement re EDUC-1 and self-dec.pdf||29.47 KB|
|MLRI Student Self declaration-April 2018.pdf||387.18 KB|
|FAQ - SNAP application Interviews for college students Oct 2018.pdf||596.8 KB|