Submitted by FoodSNAP on 03/06/2021 - 8:01pm.
Some good news on a cold Saturday. We are delighted to report that on Thursday USDA approved DTA's request to provide Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) benefits to infants, toddlers and Pre-K children who live in a SNAP household. The Baker Administration issued a detailed press advisory yesterday afternooon: https://www.mass.gov/news/
massachusetts-expands-p-ebt- to-kids-under-six-receiving- snap-increases-all-p-ebt- benefits-by And here's today's Channel 22 news story: https://www.wwlp.com/ news/massachusetts-becomes- third-state-to-expand- pandemic-ebt-program/?utm_ source=t.co&utm_medium= referral&utm_campaign= socialflow
This is EXCELLENT news! MA is the 3rd state in the US to get early approval of it's P-EBT plan for 0-5 year olds and the 15% P-EBT boost in benefits. YES!!!
Here are the core elements included in the Administration''s media advisory:
- Approximately 96,000 MA children ages 0 through age 5 will receive their first P-EBT benefits for the next round at the end of March. Note, the 0-5 children must be living in a SNAP household.
- DTA estimates this will provide more than $100 million in additional federal dollars for Massachusetts families.
- The P-EBT benefit will be either $136.40/monthor $68.20 a month - based on DESE K-12 education learning mode trends, and families will be notified of the benefit amount.
- All future P-EBT benefits for children 0 - 5 will be issued on the 25th of each month for the duration of the P-EBT program.
- Families will receive a special one-time retroactive payment in early April - to cover the months of October through January.
- Starting March 25th, P-EBT eligible students in school grades K-12 will see the 15% increase in their P-EBT benefits. Students in fully remote learning environments will now receive $136.40 a month and those in hybrid learning environments will receive $68.20. (This regular P-EBT is not limited to students in SNAP households).
- A one-time special payment for K-12 students will be issued in early April to account for the increase going back to October.
- A special 0-5 P-EBT page has been created: https://www.map-ebt.
- Updates on the K-12 webpage are here: https://www.map-ebt.org/
We hope to discuss this breaking news at Tuesday's SNAP Coalition meeting, March 9th, starting at 10 AM. The SNAP Coalition meeting will also include a presentation on DTA's SNAP Employment and Training Program as well).