SNAP Replacement Benefits due to Natural Disaster, Power Loss, Flooding or other Misfortune
Federal and state SNAP rules provide for replacement of food lost by individual SNAP recipients due to "household misfortune." Household misfortune includes fire, flood, loss of electricity, equipment (refrigerator/freezer) failure or other disaster.
- First, report the loss within 10 days of the food loss-- by phone or in writing. If they get TAFDC or EAEDC cash benefits, the household should call their DTA case worker. If they only get SNAP, call DTA at 877-382-2363. The household can also mail or fax a written statement of food loss to DTA.
- Second, complete the DTA request for replacement SNAP form and submit it to DTA within 10 days of when the loss of food was first reported. (If the househld submits this form within 10 days of the food loss, they do not need to make a separate report first.)
DTA has the responsibility to confirm the loss of power or other misfortune, incuding contacting a third party (like the landlord or utility company if power outage information is not available) as well as visiting the client's home. DTA must issue replacement SNAP quickly - either within 10 days of getting the report of the food loss, or within 2 days of getting the completed form – whichever is later. DTA can issue up to one month of replacement SNAP.
- DTA is responsible for verifying the loss of power or housing as a result of the misfortune. This can be local news reports of affected areas, information from power companies (for outages) or municipal fire/police departments (in the case of a fire), documentation from a community or other agencies (Red Cross, shelters), statements from appliance repair providers.
- In general, if the 10th day falls on a weekend or holiday, a statement/form received the day after the weekend or holiday should be seen as within the 10 day period and accepted by the DTA office.
- MLRI Flier in English and Spanish that explains SNAP replacement benefits including the time frame for reporting
- DTA Statement of Loss/ Request for Replacement of Food -- Form SNAP 9B English and Spanish
- Ops Memo 2013-30: SNAP: General Household Misfortune Procedures
- 106 CMR 364.900(C) -- Massachusetts SNAP regulations for replacement of benefits
- 106 CMR 360.030(F) -- definition of household misfortune ("A loss of food due to (but not limited to) loss of power, fire or flood that is not declared a disaster by the President or the Federal Emergency Management Agency.")
|SNAP Know Your Rights - replacement SNAP. Nov 2017.pdf||111.41 KB|
|KYR-Conozca_Sus_Derechos-SNAP Misfortune Replacement Spanish-Sept 2018.pdf||515.88 KB|