SNAP Replacement Benefits Due To Natural Disaster or Household Misfortune (including power loss and flooding)
Federal and state SNAP rules provide for replacement of food lost by individual SNAP recipients due to "household misfortune." Household misfortune includes fire, flood, loss of electricity, equipment (refrigerator/freezer) failure or other disaster.
- The SNAP client must report the loss within 10 days of the food loss-- by phone or in writing. If they get cash benefits, the client should call their DTA case worker. If they only get SNAP, call DTA at 877-382-2363. The client can also mail or fax a written statement of food loss to DTA.
- The client must then complete the DTA request for replacement SNAP form and submit it to DTA.
- DTA must get it within 10 days after the client reported the loss of food. (If they submit this form within 10 days of the food loss, they do not need to make a separate report first.)
- DTA will confirm what happened by contacting a third party or visiting the client's home.
- DTA must issue replacement SNAP quickly - either within 10 days of getting the report of the food loss, or within 2 days of getting the completed form – whichever is later.
DTA can issue up to one month of replacement SNAP.
- DTA will ask you to verify the loss of power or housing as a result of the misfortune. This can be local news reports of affected areas, information from power companies (for outages) or municipal fire/police departments (in the case of a fire), documentation from a community or other agencies (Red Cross, shelters), statements from appliance repair providers.
- If you do not have information confirming the extent of the power loss, you can ask DTA to make a collateral contact (third party contact) to the power company.
- In general, if the 10th day falls on a weekend or holiday, a statement/form received the day after the weekend or holiday should be seen as within the 10 day period and accepted by the DTA office.
- MLRI Flier that explains SNAP replacement benefits including the time frame for reporting
- DTA Statement of Loss/ Request for Replacement of Food -- English and Spanish
- Ops Memo 2013-30: SNAP: General Household Misfortune Procedures
- 106 CMR 364.900(C) -- Massachusetts SNAP regulations for replacement of benefits
- 106 CMR 360.030(F) -- definition of household misfortune ("A loss of food due to (but not limited to) loss of power, fire or flood that is not declared a disaster by the President or the Federal Emergency Management Agency.")
|SNAP replacement CLE-Jan 2015.pdf||45.27 KB|