This is a reminder of our weekly SNAP Coalition ZOOM call tomorrow, May 12th from 10 to 11:30 AM. Zoom call info below.
1. The SNAP Coalition AGENDA will include:
· National update - from the Food Research and Action Center re next C-4 package in Congress. Remember to fill out our Google Form with client stories that can the MA Delegation move our top SNAP priorities!
· State/DTA update - on SNAP applications; next phase of P-EBT roll out; review of how unemployment impacts SNAP, DTA’s recent client communications improvements
· Engaging school districts on P-EBT - reminder that families can continue to apply for SNAP or National School Lunch program benefits to then qualify for P-EBT. (See DESE eblast below)
· Community org updates – Please plan to share what are you hearing from your constituents on SNAP application processing, how quickly they are receiving new EBT cards (we know the USPS is also delayed), challenges they face food shopping/using P-EBT during pandemic and other issues you are seeing.
2. Updated SNAP COVID-19 materials with more translations:
We’ve added more translations for our FAQ: Extra Emergency SNAP Benefits. These extra SNAP benefits started in March and continue to be issued each month to households not already getting the maximum grant. Extra emergency SNAP will continue each month until the end of the public health emergency. Please see this flier for more information, also posted in Spanish , Portuguese, Chinese, and Haitian Creole
Also keep checking MLRI’s COVID-19 SNAP Google Doc for regular updates on DTA SNAP policies.
3. DESE encourages MA school districts to continue to take NSLP applications for newly poor households:
See DESE’s “Making It Count” newsletter with updates for school districts that includes encouraging them to continue to help families either enroll in SNAP benefits or apply for free/reduced-price meals in order to qualify for P-EBT (see yellow highlight).
For a DRAFT list of non-CEP school districts with online NSLP applications, see MLRI’s Excel spreadsheet here. Please email Beth Capstick if you have updates/corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org We are trying to track school districts that might benefit from having an online NSLP application portal.
From: DESE: National School Lunch Program <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, May 11, 2020 at 8:21 AM
Subject: DESE's MIC Newsletter COVID 19 - Weekly Update 5/11
To: Patrica <firstname.lastname@example.org>