This publication provides an overview of the importance of legal requirements for, and accomplishments in, providing language access services in state courts across the country.
The report – published by the Civil Rights Division’s Federal Coordination and Compliance Section – covers several key areas related to language access in state courts, including:
- Court services and programs;
- Criminal court proceedings;
- Civil court proceedings;
- Limited English Proficient (LEP) witnesses, victims, and others;
- No-cost language services; and
- Qualification and training of interpreters.
The publication also provides different sets of resources, including examples of the Justice Department’s enforcement and technical assistance work along with other materials.