Submitted by FoodSNAP on 03/13/2019 - 1:16pm.
The President's proposed 2020 budget, "A Budget for a Better America" is in fact a Budget for a Poorer America. Make no mistake, this budget includes deep and heartless cuts! Please join MLRI in opposing the 2020 budget through mainstream and social media. For more details on the specific cuts impacting food and nutrition programs, check out:
- Center for Budget and Policy Priorities 3/11/19 detailed analysis here
- Food Research and Action Center statement re how the proposed budget will deepen hunger and poverty in America.
- Here is MLRI's statement: http://hosted-p0.vresp.com/542344/6320ad4c76/ARCHIVE and here's MLRI's tweet as well: https://twitter.com/
MassLawReform/status/ 1105574862217773060 Please like, retweet and amplify!
Upcoming SNAP Coalition meetings:
- Friday, March 15th is the Western MA SNAP Coalition, 10 to Noon at the Food Bank of Western MA in Hatfield MA. For the agenda and more information, contact Megan Schuck at email@example.com
- Tuesday, March 26th is the Boston SNAP Coalition meeting from 10 to Noon at St Francis House in Boston. For more info, contact Pat or Vicky at MLRI. The agenda will include federal and state updates, current SNAP policy issues and more!
- Thursday, April 4th is the Central MA SNAP Coalition meeting, from 10 to Noon at Central West Justice Center in Worcester. For more information, contact Liz Sheehan Castro lsheehancastro@
feedingamerica.org or Gina Plata-Nino gplatanino@ cwjustice.org
Greater Boston Veterans Resource Event - April 3rd:
MLRI and Veterans Legal Service are delighted to partner with DTA, the Department of Veterans Services and the New England Center and Homes for Veterans on a special Veterans Resource Event on Aprl 3rd from 9 to 11 AM. Attached is a flier and HERE is the link to register for this free event. DTA Commissioner McCue, DVS Secretary Urena and other groups will present information about core benefits and services, and community partners will be available during the resource fair to provide information to low income veterans and organizations in the Greater Boston area. (There will be other veteran resources events during 2019 as well, stay tuned!)
SNAP Gap Lobby Day - April 11th - Save the Date!
The SNAP Gap/Common App Campaign is hosting a lobby day on Thursday, April 11th from 10 to 1 PM at the State House. More details to follow. If you do not currently get SNAPGapCoalition campaign emails, please contact me or Jamie Klufts of NASW MA. firstname.lastname@example.org or jklufts.naswma@
ABAWD SNAP comments to USDA - April 2 deadline:
If you missed Vicky Negus' webinar on the proposed Trump Admin cuts to the SNAP program impacting "able bodied without dependents" - let us know. The webinar was recorded and we can share the link and powerpoint with you. And here's the FRAC comment webpage where you can file comments directly. Deadline is Saturday, April 2nd. MLRI is happy to work with any org on comments. The Boston SNAP Coalition meeting will include a refresher on key talking points how best to submit comments!