URGENT - Rep Livingstone's SNAP Gap Amendment today - 1:30 PM deadline to get your MA Rep on early; HEROES Act Resources
Movement in the SNAP Gap Campaign TODAY!
Sorry for this late notice.
Rep Jay Livingstone contacted us this AM, wants to amend the pending IT Bond Bill, H. 4708, to implement the SNAP Gap/common application portal to allow applicants for MassHealth and Medicare Savings Program to apply for SNAP at the same time. SEE email from Rep Livingstone to all House members BELOW.
ACTION ALERT: PLEASE contact your State Rep NOW and urge them to contact Rep Livingstone to sign onto this amendment. All amendments must be filed by 3 PM today, Rep Livingstone wants to get as much support by 1:30 PM if possible. All House members received the attached email as well.
NOTE - the House Clerk has also advised us that they will let Members "late sign" onto Amendments on Monday through the "Quill" feature in the LAWS portal. So if you do not reach your member in the next hour, don't stop! They can late sign on Monday.
Pat and Kate
HEROES ACT: Statements from National Partners on the HEROES Act
The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities has just shared a list of statements from national partners on the HEROES Act pending in the House right now. CBPP and FRAC are continuing to urge state and local organizations to make their own statements. Here are some of the national statements for your reference:
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP): Greenstein: Pelosi Package Would Provide Essential Support for Economy, Relief to Households
- Food Research & Action Center (FRAC): FRAC Commends SNAP and Child Nutrition and Broad Stimulus Provisions in Latest COVID19 Recovery Package
- Center for American Progress (CAP): CAP President Neera Tanden: While the Trump Administration and McConnell Abandon the American People, House Democrats Show the Way Home
- Center for Law and Social Policy (CLASP): HEROES Act Supports States, Cities, and Many People Overlooked by Early Relief Bills—Yet More Funds Still Needed
- Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI): HEROES Act Would Protect Workers, Alleviate Hunger, Stimulate Economy
- Feeding America: HEROES Act Bill Summary of Nutrition and Other Provisions and Feeding America Statement on House Introduction of HEROES Act
- National WIC Association: Washington Update: Speaker Pelosi Unveils $3 Trillion COVID Relief Package
- School Nutrition Association (SNA): SNA Urges Swift Passage of The Heroes Act
Recent Media on SNAP and the Food System
- An op-ed from the Hill on the need for Congress to deploy the power of the US safety net – though the piece may not fully appreciate the magnitude of the spending that already is being provided, it makes a strong case for the need to do more to respond to the challenges facing low-income people in the current crisis
- Politico op-ed from Tom Colicchio and Eric Kessler—How to Crisis-Proof our Food System—which lifts up how the current crisis has exposed the inequities and vulnerabilities in our food system and its impacts on low-income people.