SNAP & Shutdown UPDATE: Feb SNAP issued Jan 17-20th + flier for distribution
Submitted by FoodSNAP on 01/14/2019 - 1:55pm.
This email includes important updates on the federal government shutdown and the impact on SNAP. We want to reiterate that SNAP households should not panic!
1. Attached in English and Spanish is a flier from MLRI, Massachusetts Food Banks and Project Bread explaining what is happening for clients. As soon as possible, please distribute widely with your networks and with SNAP households.
2. DTA will be issuing February SNAP EARLY - between January 17th and 20th. Just like all normal SNAP payments, this SNAP does not expire and will remain on the card until the household uses it.
3. We encourage those who need to take action on their SNAP case (such as an Interim Report or Recertification) to take action as soon as possible. After January 20th, DTA will be processing cases as normal - but due to lack of clarity about funding on the federal level, it is important for SNAP households to do outstanding paperwork as soon as possible.
4. As they are finalized we will share DTA outreach and materials/resources on SNAP and the shutdown - in general, DTA will be updating information here: Mass.gov/DTA. DTA is working very hard to be clear with SNAP households about this massive and unprecedented early issuance.
5. For a helpful and up to date overview of what is happening with SNAP on a national level, click here for Politico's 1/11 article "Billions in food stamp payments to come early because of shutdown"
As community organizations, our role in the next couple of days is to be very clear with SNAP households about what is happening so they can make decisions for themselves and their families with the most up to date information available. Thank you very much for your help spreading the word!
Contact Pat or Vicky with any questions.