SNAP Coalition Meeting September 26th and SNAP Updates - COLA, Hurricane Irma, College Students and More
We are writing to give you some important SNAP updates and a reminder about the September 26th SNAP Coalition meeting.
September Boston SNAP Coalition Meeting:
Tuesday, September 26th from 10 to Noon at St Francis House. The draft AGENDA will include:
- Federal SNAP Update and defense work (see 40th Anniversary below)
- DTA roll out of Elder SNAP Unit in November and Verifications Upgrades in November (and great new mouse pad!)
- Helping families fleeting Hurricane Harvey, Irma, Maria
- SNAP changes affecting ABAWDs in 2018 how we can prepare clients
- SNAP and college students - are they getting connected to SNAP?
- Case processing issues - what are you seeing
- School meals update - Breakfast after Bell campaign, school meal debt research
SNAP COLA October 1st:
Just a reminder that most SNAP recipients will experience a small change in their SNAP starting in October. Please noted, the Standard Utility Allowance (SUA) amounts are also changing (we did not have this information in the last eblast). We have REVISED our SNAP math worksheet. The SUA amounts are as follows:
- $ 636/mo eating/cooling allowance
- $ 392/mo non-heating/cooling allowance
$ 45/mo phone SUAÂ
DTA Guidance on Hurricane Irma, Harvey evacuees in MA:
DTA has updated its guidance to advise the field of how to handle SNAP and cash applications from households that physically arrive in MA from TX, LA, FL or PR. See guidance HERE. Sadly, we can add Hurricane Maria to that list. Please let us know what you are seeing.
SNAP and College Students:
Also a reminder that college students may qualify if in community college programs with a career or technical education focus, or in college and receive a MassGrant and meet the other SNAP qualifications. Hereâs our fact sheets.
40th Anniversary of the Food Stamp Act of 1977 - September 29th
A week from Friday, September 29th, is the 40th anniversary of the Food Stamp Act of 1977. We are hoping to get social media awareness to this historic moment, talk about how SNAP has helped millions of children and adults, and needs to stay vibrant and STRONG ! We will send out more info about the 40th Anniversary later but MARK YOUR CALENDARS.
|FS-SNAP Calc Worksheet-Oct 1 2017 with SUAs.pdf||158.67 KB|