Housing Rights of Survivors of Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Dating Violence, and Stalking
Survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence and stalking have housing rights under federal law as well as under some state and local laws. These rights are meant to ensure that survivors have access to and can safely live in shelter or housing. Survivors have critical rights whether they want to stay in their housing or shelter or move out and find another place to live.
This webinar will help survivor advocates and homeless shelter and housing program advocates understand the basic housing rights of survivors and provide information to help survivors get assistance to access these vital protections. The interactive webinar will spotlight scenarios from the Community-based Advocates Toolkit: A Resource Guide for Professionals Helping Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Stalking and Dating Violence Survivors (2019), published by the National Alliance for Safe Housing and the National Housing Law Project.
This webinar will:
- Provide an update on the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)
- Provide an overview of federal housing protections, specifically VAWA, the federal Fair Housing Act (FHA), American with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (Section 504)
- Provide an overview of state and local housing protections
- Apply the federal housing protections to scenarios involving discrimination, documentation, and notice/rental agreements/leases
- Provide resources
- Debbie Fox, Senior Housing Policy & Practice Specialist, National Network to End Domestic Violence
- Larisa Kofman, J.D. Director of Systems and Policy Initiatives, National Alliance for Safe Housing
- Karlo Ng, J.D. Supervising Attorney, National Housing Law Project
- Kate Walz, J.D. Vice President of Advocacy & Senior Director of Litigation, Shriver Center on Poverty Law
Register here: https://events-na1.adobeconnect.com/content/connect/c1/2233180192/en/events/event/shared/2904425017/event_registration.html?connect-session=na1breeze2rza6k3gwo9mw2r&sco-id=3324190197&_charset_=utf-8