Good news/bad news for 2019: Victories and challenges ahead, SNAP 101 training on Jan 16th and Boston Coalition Meeting Jan 22nd.
Submitted by FoodSNAP on 12/20/2018 - 12:41pm.
Dear Coalition members. The good news! THANK YOU for an incredible year of advocacy work in 2018.
- The Farm Bill is DONE without major cuts to SNAP - VICTORY!
- The Mass SNAP caseload has a 1.3% increase in participation, the only state with a positive increase, while the national average has gone down by -4.8%
- More low income eligible college students are accessing SNAP benefits thanks to your advocacy!
- DTA is waiving and/or reducing agency-caused SNAP overpayments for many households.
- DTA has made significant improvements to DTA Connect, reducing verifications, faster processing of documents, faster interviews, implementing the EDSAP (elder disabled simplified application) and MORE!
- Over 210K comments were filed - the bulk in opposition to the Trump Admin public charge rules, more than 5,000 from MA alone.
THANK YOU! Raise a glass for advocacy and victories.
Four items to flag for you in 2019.
- SNAP for students: We needed to update the youtube video with some tiny corrections, but that caused the old link to not work. Here is the corrected LINK:
- The SNAP 101 Basic Benefits Training is January 16th, followed by a Utilites Rights training. You can register for the SNAP training HERE
- The January Boston Coalition meeting is on Jan 22nd - mark your calendars
- The Close the SNAP Gap Coalition will be filing legislation in 2019 - let me (Pat B) know if you want to join the Coalition (if you are not on the eblast list).
Now the bad news: The Trump Admin planning to issue harmful work requirement rules after not getting what they wanted in the Farm Bill! See email from FRAC below and Wash Post article here.
Rest up, we will walk you through this in January, we help you submit comments, just like we all did on the proposed Public Charge rules. We can battle this together to keep SNAP strong for all low income households. Thanks for ALL you do!
Pat and Vicky