The NEXT Boston Food SNAP Coalition meeting is Tuesday, April 24th:
The monthly Coalition meeting will be at St Francis House (39 Boylston Street). There may be a room change and we will confirm which floor of St Francis House the meeting will be held. The agenda will include:
- update on Farm Bill/Budget deliberations before Congress and how we can respond in Massachusetts.
- update on the State budget (House budget floor debate on amendments begins next week);
- discussion of the FNS evaluation of Massachusetts disaster response to the June 1st tornado and lessons learned,
- update on state SNAP policies including how Web (VG) applications are going, My Accounts Page, review of verification requirements,
- local access and advocacy issues.
National Conference: Beyond Hunger; Real People, Real Solutions - May 2 - 4 in Philadelphia:
Our friends at Child Health Watch wanted to be sure you know about this important national anti-hunger conference! And scholarships may be available for community members. The goal of the conference is to change the dialogue on hunger and poverty in America, by intentionally including those who have direct experience with hunger and poverty. The conference welcomes researchers, advocates, government officials, artists, philanthropists and students to join this conversation. The conference will also host two special events: the Witnesses to Hunger Photography Exhibit (Wednesday, May 2) and the premiere of the hunger documentary, Finding North at the Kimmel Center (Thursday, May 3).
Those interested can visit the conference website at www.beyondhungerconference.org to learn more and register. Scholarships are available for community members who have experienced poverty and hunger firsthand. Contact Rachel Meeks Cahill to request scholarships for community members: firstname.lastname@example.org