Boston SNAP Coalition AGENDA for Tues 1/22: Action Alert on Shutdown and More Advocacy Resources
This is a reminder of the SNAP Coalition Meeting in Boston on Tuesday, Jan 22nd from 10-Noon at St Francis House, 6th Floor. Below are updates on the federal shutdown and Action Steps. We are also including some updated resources for your SNAP and TAFDC advocacy and info on an upcoming Tenants Rights event.
Jan 22 Coalition AGENDA:
- Fed Update (Ellen Vollinger FRAC)
- Fed Govt Shutdown update on SNAP including status of early –issued Feb benefits; robo calls to clients and ongoing case processing - DTA SNAP Director Mangini, Commish McCue & other staff
- Update from community partners re shutdown impact in your communities - ALL
- DTA roll out of the new Elder/Disabled Simplified Application Program (EDSAP) – DTA
- Other SNAP policy updates - MLRI
- GAO report on college student hunger (Yesenia Jimenez, MLRI Emerson Nat Hunger Fellow)
- State Legislation for 2019 including SNAP Gap/Common App, TAFDC Bills, HIP, School Nutrition (meal debt and breakfast); other bills - ALL
- Update on Mayor Walsh including SNAP Gap/Common App as Leg Priority for 2019! (CoB)
Fed Govt Shutdown – Resources and info
- MLRI is continuing to post updates to the shutdown (on all poverty programs) here: https://www.masslegalservices.
- DTA is regularly updating its SNAP Q&A here: https://www.mass.gov/info-
details/important-information- about-your-february-snap- benefit
- Coverage of statement by MA Food Banks, MLRI and Project Bread
Shutdown ACTION STEPS
See ACTION ALERT from our colleagues at the Worcester Co Food Bank below and Project Bread HERE
Updated SNAP and TAFDC Advocacy Guides now available on line!
Tenant’s Rights Training - Jan 29th
You are invited to the next Basic Benefits Training Session on Tenants Rights at MCLE in Boston – Tuesday, January 29th . Register HERE
Training fee is only $27.50 for non-lawyer advocates and Legal Services – be sure to “refresh” default to get lower price.