The Online Resource for Massachusetts Poverty Law Advocates

94. What are my rights if DTA denies, cuts or stops my SNAP?

If DTA denies your SNAP benefits or stops or lowers your benefits, you can ask for a fair hearing. A fair hearing, or an “appeal”, is a formal meeting at the local DTA office or a formal telephone or video conference. A hearing officer runs the hearing and decides who is right. 106 C.M.R. §§ 367.375, 343.110. To ask for a fair hearing you file something called an “appeal” with DTA. You can ask for a fair hearing to challenge any DTA decision or action you disagree with. 106 C.M.R. §§ 367.125, 343.230.

Most DTA notices have an appeal form on the back which you can use to request a fair hearing. See Question 98 for more on how to file an appeal and Appendix C for a copy of the DTA “Request for an Appeal” form.


You can appeal most actions DTA takes. For example, you can appeal if:

  • DTA denies your application or recertification
  • DTA lowers your SNAP and you think it is wrong
  • DTA denies or ignores a request to correct a SNAP underpayment (under-issuance)
  • DTA does not increase your SNAP (for example, when your income goes down or someone has moved into your household).
  • DTA denies or ignores your request to accommodate a disability. See Question 25.
  • DTA says you have been denied but never sends you written notice.

See 106 C.M.R. § 343.230.

Cuts or Terminations

In most situations, DTA must give you at least 10 days advance notice before your benefits are stopped or reduced. You can ask for a hearing if your benefits are stopped or reduced. See Question 97 on whether you can keep your benefits while you are waiting for a hearing decision. 106 C.M.R. §§ 343.230, 367.300. You can also reapply while you are waiting for a hearing.

Worker Bad Conduct

  • You can ask for a hearing if a DTA worker threatens you, makes unreasonable demands that do not follow the rules, violates your privacy, or does not treat you with dignity and respect. 106 C.M.R. § 343.235. You have 120 days to file an appeal from the date of the incident where you allege worker misconduct. 106 C.M.R. § 343.140.

Limit Offer