The Online Resource for Massachusetts Poverty Law Advocates

86. When do I have to report changes?

ALERT:  Many of the rules in the TAFDC/EAEDC Advocacy Guide do NOT apply during the pandemic. Please go to the following COVID-19 & DTA benefits page: until further notice for more information about changes.

You have 10 days to report changes that could make you ineligible or decrease your benefits. This includes changes in income or assets, who lives with you, or if you move to a new address. 106 C.M.R. § 701.420.

Report changes that will increase your benefits, such as a drop in income, at any time.

Because it is hard to know what changes may affect your eligibility, it is good to report other changes promptly too. For example, you should report a change of address even if it will not affect your eligibility so that DTA notices will not be mailed to the wrong address.  

Advocacy Reminders:

  • What if you can’t reach your worker to report a change? If possible, mail or fax information about the change to the Electronic Document Management (EDM) center and keep a copy and proof that you sent it. You can also take a picture of and upload documents to your case record through DTA Connect. See Questions 76 and 83.
  • If you call your DTA worker to report a change, make sure he or she makes a note in the case record.  You should also keep a record of any phone calls you make to report a change (or try to report a change). You may need this record later to prove that you tried to report a change.
  • You can report a change of address or a new phone number to the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system. You can also report a new address or phone number through DTA Connect. See Question 83
  • Be sure to report a change of address and tell the post office about the change. If DTA mail is returned to you without a forwarding address, DTA will send you a request for verification of address and will close your case if you do not respond within 10 days (30 days for applications). DTA Operations Memo 2013-13A (March 28, 2013).
  • If you move to an address covered by a different DTA office, your case should be transferred to the new office unless you are doubled up with a host family in public or subsidized housing. If there is a problem, ask to speak with the Transfer Specialist in the new office. DTA Operations Memo 2012-39 (Aug. 27, 2012).

Limit Offer