The Online Resource for Massachusetts Poverty Law Advocates

74. What proofs do I need?

A DTA intake worker will interview you and is supposed to help you with your application. You have to give DTA proof of your eligibility before your application will be approved. Your worker will give you a list of what you need to prove. 106 C.M.R. § 702.310(B). You can mail, fax or deliver your proofs or “verifications” to DTA. Be sure you mail photocopies, not the originals, in case they get lost in the mail. You can also ask an agency to fax copies to DTA. See Question 76.

If you do not have everything, give what you have. In many cases, you can sign a sworn statement to prove something. You can also sign a form letting your worker contact someone else to get the proof. 106 C.M.R. § 702.340; DTA Online Guide: EAEDC > Basic Case Activities & Maintenance > Verifications > Methods of Verifications - EAEDC

Some information is available to DTA in a database that DTA can access. If DTA can get the information from a database, it should not require you to provide the proof. DTA Operations Memo 2013-47 (Sept. 5, 2013); DTA Online Guide: Cross Programs > External Agency Matches > Matches - Overview. For example, DTA can get wage information for some jobs through a service called “The Work Number.”; DTA Online Guide: Cross Programs > External Agency Matches > The Work Number; DTA Operations Memo 2013-33 (July 19, 2013).


The following chart lists some additional items you might be asked for by DTA:

If you are seeking benefits           You may be asked for these proofs:
in this category:


106 C.M.R. § 703.191

  • Medical Report, filled out by your doctor
  • Disability Supplement, filled out by you
  • Proof you applied for SSI

Mass. Rehabilitation Commission (MRC) participant

106 C.M.R. § 703 610


  • MRC medical or psychiatric reports statement from a MRC counselor regarding your disability and MRC program activity

Caring for a disabled person

106 C.M.R. § 703.620

  • Statement from doctor regarding the disabled person's disability and need for your regular care
  • Proof of income/assets of the disabled person

Elderly - age 65 or older

106 C.M.R. § 703.600

  • Proof of you age
  • Proof you applied for SSI

Caretaker families

106 C.M.R. § 703.700

  • Division of Unemployment Assistance (DUA) work registration if you, the caretaker, chooses to be included in the grant, or proof of "good cause" to not register for work
  • Proof of the age and identity of the child
  • Proof you have legal custody or guardianship of the child (you have 6 months to get this proof) or proof of "good cause" to not get guardianship. See Question 28.

Things you might be asked to bring are:

  • proof of where you live and your Massachusetts residence (for example, a rent receipt, lease, utility bill, official letter or document listing your address, a landlord statement), unless you are homeless. 106 C.M.R. §  703.340; DTA Online Guide: EAEDC > General Nonfinancial Requirements > Residence > Residence.
  • proof of who you are (for example, your driver's license, voter registration, birth certificate), or, if not available, a statement from someone who knows you personally. 106 C.M.R. § 703.810;
  • the social security numbers for you and other people you are applying for, or proof that you have applied for them (unless exempt due to noncitizen status). You do not need to show the actual SSN cards, but just provide DTA with the SSN in writing or orally. 106 C.M.R. § 701.230;
  • proof of your legal immigration status if you are not a U.S. citizen, such as a copy a copy of your green card, work authorization, documents or receipts from immigration authorities, statement from an attorney representing you or other proof of your status. 106 C.M.R. § 703.440; see Question 37;
  • proof you are a U.S. citizen (if you are not an immigrant), 106 C.M.R.
    (such as your birth certificate, passport or voter registration). Your EAEDC application should not be delayed or denied pending DTA’s receipt of proof of citizenship. DTA Field Operations Memo 2007-10 (Feb. 20, 2007); DTA Online Guide: EAEDC > General Nonfinancial Requirements > Noncitizen > Verification of Citizenship.
  • proof of any income you receive (for example, pay stubs, employer statements, government checks or letters, etc.). 106 C.M.R. § 704.200;
  • proof of any assets you own and have access to (money in the bank, vehicles, etc.). 106 C.M.R. § 704.100;
  • proof that you applied for, or are not eligible for, Veterans' Services benefits or Unemployment Insurance. 106 C.M.R. § 702.720(B) and 106 C.M.R. § 702.700; and/or
  • proof that you have housing expenses - to determine living arrangement and to avoid the in-kind income deduction(for example, a lease, rent receipt, mortgage, or statement from a landlord. 106 C.M.R. § 704.510(B).

Advocacy Reminder:

There are many other proofs that DTA can ask for in a particular case. Do the best you can to get them, but if you cannot get them, ask for help from the worker and ask if you can verify the information by signing a statement. Your worker is supposed to help you get required proof when your worker has been told or is otherwise aware that you need help. See 106 C.M.R. § 702.310(B); DTA Operations Memos 2013-47 (Sept. 5, 2013) and 2010-55 (Nov. 23, 2010).

  • If you need more time to get proofs, you can get an extension. If you have trouble, talk to an advocate.
  • If you need extra help getting proofs because of your disability, ask your worker to assist you by making a reasonable accommodation. See
    Questions 7980, and 81.
  • If DTA schedules your appointment for a time that is bad for you, you can reschedule.
  • Some information does not change and only needs to be verified once, unless there is a reason to think that it was wrong originally or has changed. For example, you should not need to re-verify your date of birth at redetermination or reapplication. DTA Operations Memo 2010-55 (Nov. 23, 2010); DTA Online Guide: EAEDC > Basic Case Activities & Maintenance > Verifications > Methods of Verifications – EAEDC.
  • A single document can sometimes prove more than one eligibility factor. For example, a rent receipt can prove where you live and that you have rent expenses. DTA Operations Memo 2012-08 (Feb. 6, 2012).
  • DTA will accept documents that are scanned, faxed or photocopied from the original unless the document appears questionable. DTA Operations Memo 2012-32 (July 12, 2012).
  • DTA should send you a list of any proofs you are missing. DTA should give you time to provide the proofs. DTA Operations Memo 2012-17 (Apr. 25, 2012). 

Limit Offer