The Online Resource for Massachusetts Poverty Law Advocates

68. What if DTA makes a mistake and owes me money?

DTA has to correct all underpayments. 106 C.M.R. § 706.210. An underpayment is any mistake that makes you get less than you should have gotten. For example, you might be underpaid because

  • your worker closed or reduced your grant in error, or
  • DTA counted income against you that should not have been counted.

If you are underpaid, you should ask DTA in writing to correct the underpayment back to the date of the incorrect payment. If DTA will not make the correction, you can appeal. See Question 87.

Advocacy Reminder:

DTA regulations say that you can only get an underpayment corrected if you are a current recipient or would be a current recipient if the mistake causing the underpayment had not occurred. 106 C.M.R. § 706.210. These limits on underpayment correction may not be legal. Consult an advocate if DTA refuses to correct an underpayment because you are not a current recipient


Limit Offer