The Online Resource for Massachusetts Poverty Law Advocates

43. What are the assistance unit rules?

EAEDC rules require certain household members to be included in the EAEDC application and to have their income and assets counted toward others in the household. 106 C.M.R. §§ 704.300, 704.305, 704.310.

  • An individual without minor children can apply for EAEDC on his/her own and does not need to be included in the assistance unit of others. However, the income and assets of a spouse in the home will be counted.
  • An unrelated adult caretaker has three options: (a) She can opt out of an EAEDC assistance unit and have none of her income or assets included; (b) she can request to be included in the EAEDC grant with the minor child and receive the incremental portion of the grant; or (c) she can apply for her own EAEDC grant separate from the child if she qualifies as disabled, elderly or meeting some other category of assistance. 106 C.M.R. § 704.310.

Example: Rachel Roe gets EAEDC for her neighbor's child, Sam. Rachel is also disabled. Since she is disabled, she can get two separate EAEDC grants—one for her and one for Sam. If she did not meet one of the EAEDC categories herself but wanted to get benefits, she would have to be included in Sam's grant—which would be less money for the household.

Limit Offer