A Resource Guide for Grandparents Raising Their Grandchildren
A Guide for grandparents raising grandchildren. According to its authors, "Assuming the responsibility of raising grandchildren is often an unanticipated situation for grandparents. Identifying financial, social, health and legal resources can be confusing, difficult and time‐consuming. Knowing what services and programs are available and where to access information is essential in managing a new family situation and parenting responsibilities. This Guide was developed to assist grandparents and other kinship caregivers to locate and obtain needed resources."
- Getting Started: What to Consider
- Care and Custody Basics
- Childcare and School
- Financial Issues, Child Support and Public Assistance
- Legal Services and Organizations
- Health and Insurance
- Safety In and Outside of Home
- Counseling, Mental and Behavioral Health
- Disability Services
- Resources for Specific Grandparent Communities
- Helpful Hints for Grandparents By Grandparents
The Guide, and a Companion volume listing additional resources, is posted on the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs website.