State and Federal Veterans Benefits
This training is for legal services advocates, lawyers in private practice, social and health services workers, veterans' lay advocates, legislative aides, and anyone else who wants to learn about the basics of state and federal veterans' benefits.
The training covers state veterans benefits under M.G.L. c. 115 (administered by the Massachusetts Department of Veterans' Services), and federal benefits for service-connected disability compensation and non-service-connected pensions (administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs).
The session covers the basic application process, eligibility rules for veterans (military discharge status, financial eligibility, disqualifying conditions, refund status), and the disability requirements for benefits. It also covers the basics of filing an appeal. Participants receive detailed materials.
- Legal Services Attorneys and Non Lawyer Advocates ....$25
- All Others ....$95
- Steven J. Connor, Department of Veterans' Services, Northampton
- Betsy Gwin, Esq., Legal Services Center, Jamaica Plain
- Dana Montalto, Esq., Legal Services Center, Jamaica Plain
- Daniel Nagin, Esq., Legal Services Center, Jamaica Plain
- Anna Schleelein Richardson, Esq., Veterans Legal Services, Boston
For more information or to register, go to MCLE's website, http://www.mcle.org/product/catalog/code/2170117P01 Note: When registering on MCLE website, be sure to select your program fee “Category” in the drop down menu. Click “Update” for adjusted course fee.