The Online Resource for Massachusetts Poverty Law Advocates

76. What proofs do I need to claim deductions?

You cannot be denied SNAP benefits for lack of proof of deductions, but your benefits may be higher if you provide proofs. 106 C.M.R. §§ 364.450(B). Question 11 has detailed information on verifications, self-declarations, worker assistance and more. As a reminder, you can:

■  Self-declare the cost of child care or adult dependent care, including transportation, unless questionable.

■  Self-declare your shelter and utility costs, unless questionable.

■  Verify the legal obligation to pay child support with any legal document that describes your obligation and verify the amount you pay. 106 C.M.R. §§ 361.610(J), 364.400(E). See also Question 71.

■  Veriify at least $35.00 per month to get a standard $155 medical deduction  Verify that you have over $190/month in medical expenses to claim more. See Question 70 for examples of proofs accepted.

Advocacy Reminders:

  • If your DTA worker failed to give you a notice telling you what verifications you needed and the date by which to provide them or failed to help you get the verifications, you may be able to recover the benefits you would have received had the verifications been processed timely. 106 C.M.R. § 364.450(B). See also Question 18

Limit Offer